Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme

The Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme (GASDS) allows parishes to claim a Gift-Aid style repayment to be received on small cash donations of £20 or less up to a threshold of £5,000 of donated income per year per church.

In total, it should benefit parishes by more than £15 million a year.  The guidance on this page offers practical guidance for Church of England parishes – it does not provide complete guidance to the scheme. Currently you should only claim on the Community Buildings element of the scheme.

This is pretty simple to operate, and we’d encourage parishes to keep it that way. Don’t try and do anything different to change how much qualifies – for the vast majority of parishes, loose plate collections and regular giving envelopes on which there is no Gift Aid declaration will take you to the £5,000 limit.

Download our guide to running the Small Donations Scheme.

If you are a church plant, or run services in other buildings, there is an additional guide to  GASDS and Church Plants.

GASDS is claimed alongside Gift Aid using the same processes. These have changed during 2013, and we have a page of specific guidance on each of the three possible routes to claim here.

The  Church in Wales have asked us to include a note for their parishes: “The Church in Wales strongly endorses the current approach of the Church of England with regard to GASDS.  This relates both to the guidance it has produced and in its ongoing discussions with HMRC about the scheme.  It encourages it’s members who access this site to read the available guidance.”    

What you need to do now:

From April 6th, you need to make sure you’re keeping the right records. HMRC require you to keep three elements of evidence, all of which you should already have in place:

1. To be eligible, Small Donations must be banked at bank or post office branch in the UK. You must keep evidence to show that you have deposited at least the amount claimed under GASDS. So, for example, if after a service you have £250 which is eligible for the small donations scheme, the amount banked must be at least that. In practice, because of cash in Gift-Aided planned giving envelopes it will be higher than that – this is fine. It doesn’t need banking separately.

2. You will also need records showing when the cash was collected. For most parishes, this will be in two parts, as outlined in our guidance.

a) Vestry forms showing the cash collected at services, which provides evidence of the donations that are eligible. These should be signed. You can use your own forms, as long as they separate out loose cash from that given in envelopes, and can exclude donations where you know than an individual gave more than £20.

  • An example form is available in both Word format and Excel format
  • You can download our Vestry Record notes to accompany this. Please note: the numbers along the top of the Word / Excel example form (1, 2, 3, 4) correlates with the numbers on the Vestry Record Forms Guidance document. 

and b) The envelope register, which will identify regular planned giving in envelopes not covered by a Gift Aid declaration. These can also be included in the scheme provided the donation given in a particular week is in cash and is of £20 or less.

3.  In order to claim under the Community Buildings element of the scheme (which currently parishes are required to do), you will need evidence to show that collections were taken at services or other charitable activities when there were more than 10 people attending. This will usually be your service register.

Parishes are currently required to use the Community Buildings element of the scheme only, as HMRC deem that parishes in a diocese are controlled by the Diocesan Bishop. This is patently not the case, and the Church is challenging this ruling on a national level.

External Links
Detailed policy and guidance from HMRC can be found on the website.
Email Newsletter
Get the latest news and updates by signing up to our quarterly newsletters. Subscribe.